Thursday, November 29, 2007

An Unusal Radio Station! Who Would Think....

As I was tuning into the radio station KEDA Radio 1530 AM, I found it to be a very curious station, in which I came to believe that many of my family members and friends would not listen to this type of music. The main reason for this is because we all tend to tune into both older and newer country, along with rap music because this is what we have grown up listening to. Both Conjunto and Spanish music is a language that we have a tendency not to listen to, because we are not capable of understanding or speaking the languages. As I was listening to the station 1530, I found the mood to be very joyful, thrilled and pleasurable because I noticed that different people on the station were talking, and suddenly their voices were slowly becoming higher and higher and a lot of people in the background were laughing about the conditions they were talking about. Also, as I was tuning into this station, they were not playing much music at all, and it sounded more like a talk show that was on the radio, rather than on the TV. The reason for this was because one man was talking to a young lady and she was telling him different stories about her life, which I wasn’t capable of understanding. But after her response, the audience would start clapping, screaming, and yelling and you could obviously tell that she was talking about something positive.

However, as I was listening to the station 1530 AM, I noticed some words that I could completely understand because rather than speaking them in Spanish, they were speaking in English. For example, Dallas Cowboys, McAllen Medical Center, Houston Texas, Hector’s Oil Company, Rio Grande City and Alpine Texas. After catching these words that they were speaking in English, I was completely amazed because when tuning into a Spanish station, you wouldn’t think that the main speaker would be speaking in English, but then I suddenly realized that there are Spanish words that have to be spoken in English. After listening and listening to this station, the speakers had started playing music, which some pieces I didn’t find to be very enjoyable, but overall other sections of music were actually very fascinating because of the musical instruments that the singer and the bands were using. Some of the songs seemed to be very slow and depressing which came to my mind as being compared to some country songs that I listen to. Other songs had a very quick pace and people were screaming and yelling as they were singing which had reminded me of rap music, because of much of the excitement that was taking place. I also realized that they were playing commercials and playing advertisements as well, along with calling people on the radio and talking to them and asking questions. The reason that I find this to be interesting is because when I tune into stations such as 97.3 FM, they do the same thing as well, along with calling people and letting them win free things, such as money and gift cards.

After tuning into the radio station KEDA Radio 1530 AM, I thought to myself, why in the world am I listening to Spanish, but after realizing all of the different cultures that are out in the world, I need to be more appreciative and considerate. Overall, I suppose that music is all expressed in different forms and cultures but they are all slowly coming together as a whole. It is also important to understand the different cultures, religions, history and language because we can exchange and grow upon one another so that we are capable of living at peace with each and every individual. In general, I think that every now and then, I might want to jam out to other stations, so therefore I might experience this radio station again and see what kinds of music they are going to be playing that day.
Word Count: 669

No comments: